routines
Now that we're on day 10 in the hospital, I'm slowly starting to get used to things. Part of getting used to it and making it bearable has been figuring out my own routine and asking to change things that make life a little miserable. When your life has become circumscribed to one room, exerting control on the little things becomes important.
I now have my morning routine-get up, take a shower, arrange the bed covers into my "day bed" (so I'm on top of them instead of under them), open the blinds, put away laundry, get the computer out, and order breakfast. Now it's officially daytime--and important distinction if you're in bed all day.
The two big quality-of-life changes I've been able to get everyone to agree to are being on the fetal monitor for 1/2 hour 2x per day instead of an hour 2x/day, and having them not take my vitals at midnight and 6AM when I get up to take medicine. Both Funnypants (the baby) and I REALLY appreciate not being monitored for 1 hour. You can't move much during that time, and she had already outsmarted me (and the nurses) by running away from the monitor as soon as it was put on. That hour would stretch to 1 1/2 hours as we all tried to chase her around enough to get a good reading. She seems to have decided that she can tolerate 1/2 hour most of the time, though. Sad when a kid still on the inside can outsmart you... And last night was my first night where I only had to get up to take medicine, not have them take blood pressure, temp and oxygen levels. What a delight! I didn't stay awake knowing they were coming with their squeaky equipment, and was actually able to fall asleep again. I slept more than 3 hours! Life is so good.
Anyway, hope your lives are all good and your routines (or lack thereof) make you happy.
Kirsten,
ReplyDeleteIt is so nice to read your blog and see that at least you still have your sense of humor! Your patience amazes me as I can't even stay still for 5 minutes of a Yoga class! The Lushers are thinking about you and miss you guys. We are here if you need anything.
Lara