review day: Ticket to Ride
We used to play board or card games quite a bit, then Sweet Pea came along, and whatever free time we had went into other things. Recently, I'd been thinking about a card game hubby and I used to play quite a bit when we were first married: Settlers of Catan
. We played it so many times, in so many different places: our apartment, camping, the ferry to Bainbridge Island in Seattle...anywhere with a flat surface. And every time I lost. The beauty of my psyche and this game is that hope springs eternal. The object of the game is to have the most points at the end. To do this, you build towns and cities that have to be supported by infrastructure, supplied by resources, and defended properly. Every time, I put my faith in defense, because I am a sucker for knights who come cheap and are not very effective, but have great names like Cedric the Simple. Hubby always builds as fast as he can and leaves defense to the winds, and he wins every time. You'd think I would learn, but I NEVER do. Another life lesson, maybe?
We played it again in the last few months, and it made me want another game like that as something that hubby and I could do for "us" time instead of pursuing our separate interests in the same room. So I splurged on the Ticket to Ride
board game, which I'd seen good reviews of. The quick synopsis is that we love it! The object is again to have the most points at the end of the game, which you do by building train routes (specified by cards you are dealt at the beginning of the game) between cities on a map of the US. The longer the route, the more points it earns. The trick is to complete as many of your given routes as possible, because any unfinished routes at the end of the game count against you. It's a well-made game, which makes playing it a pleasure, and while there is some element of chance, strategy reigns king. Which is, of course, why I always lose at this game, too. Actually, I won the first time we played, before hubby had figured out his strategy. And before we figured out that whoever is yellow wins. Sure, it's been hubby ever since that first time, but just you wait until I get to be yellow again...
Anyway, it's a fun game that Sweet Pea enjoyed (as part of a team) that takes less than an hour with 2 players; the most we've played with is 3, and that definitely takes longer. The learning curve isn't too bad, and the directions are clear. All in all, well worth $40 to us.
Comments
Post a Comment